expired yeast, ok to use? possibly...definitely not??

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

IPeamon

expired yeast, ok to use? possibly...definitely not??

Post by IPeamon »

I have a vial of expired WLP530 yeast. Its nearly 5 months expired. I was going to do a 2.5 litre starter 3 days before brew day and hope for the best. Does anyone think Im completely wasting my time or just wasting my time. Any opinions appreciated! It has been in the fridge the whole time.

Cheers
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bobcat_brewer »

You could go ahead and make your starter early, then if all goes well, increase the starter size to 5 liters. to increase your cell count.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: expired yeast, ok to use? possibly...definitely not??

Post by a_daley »

Just be aware that sometimes they do work and other times they don't.... I have found overall it is cheaper to start with new yeast than coaxing expired yeast into some sort of life with extra nutrients, temp and care and also sometimes they still give different flavors from fresh yeast....

The test brews I tried with old yeast were 12 months expired though.... I have made small batches of porter most of which were drinkable but were rated max of of 1 star or less.... where normally most brews are 4 - 5 stars (out of 5).

Do start start at least five days before with five litres at minimum, but if it makes a strange brew don't blame me!