raspberry porter, celebration ale clone, or best brown clone

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

raspberry porter, celebration ale clone, or best brown clone

Post by bredmakr »

As a result of the GREAT success of my Pepo Ale I, I have been asked to brew a special beer for a Christmas party. I have come up with three ideas and was wondering if anyone out there had a strong opinion on which would be best served for a not so educated beer drinking guest list.

A- Raspberry Porter (Winter Warmer type)
B- SN Celebration Ale clone
C- Best's Brown Ale clone (Kalamazoo Brewing Comp.)

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated and if you have a better idea or a great recipe that you would like to share with me please do so.

Thanks!
Mike
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

'Tis the Season

Post by Gravity Thrills »

This years' Celebration just made it to my neck of the woods this week and I tore into one last night
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Tough One

Post by Team Beer »

Out of the selection I would have to go with the celebration clone, possibly with little less bittering hops or the Brown. I might suggest a lightly spiced belgium trippel style. Light in color, big on warming and the style makes a great winter beer. Might make a few light lager types see that not all good beer is dark. Only concern would be the time factor for proper aging.
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

funny gravity and I must be on the same page at the same tim

Post by Team Beer »

Two brewers can't be wrong can we ?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

not unless...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

... they're names are "Anhauser" and "Busch" :-)
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Avoid the raspberry

Post by jayhawk »

I brewed up a raspberry porter this August. I enjoyed, but the raspberries made it quite acidic. I found I could only handle a pint because of such harshness. Theoretically, this could be balanced with more body and malt sweetness, but if you are out to please the people it is probably best to avoid experimentation. I would stick with something close to the brown. It is hard to go wrong with a nice malty beer. My spiced brown is on its way to the secondary today. I followed the thread Thrills posted. Good luck.