Lemon Grass

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Lemon Grass

Post by spgriffin »

I want a pronounced (but not overdone) flavor and aroma of lemon grass in a pale ale (low bittering). Should I add lemon grass (dehydrated) to 15 minutes left in the boil or dry hopped? Either way, how much too? I was thinking 8 ounces of dehydrated, then rethought maybe 4-5 onces. Anyone have a suggestion?
Keg 1: Rye stout
Keg 2: Irish honey red
bobcat_brewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bobcat_brewer »

Try finely chopping your lemon grass and soaking it in vodka for a day to make a tincture. Add that to you secondary. About two stalks of lemon grass and enough vodka to cover. When you like what you taste/smell in the secondary, rack to a tertiary if you still need conditioning time or go ahead and package.
Laura13

Post by Laura13 »

Lemongrass is a stalky plant with a lemony scent that grows in many tropical climates, most notably in Southeast-Asia. A common ingredient in Thai cooking, lemongrass provides a zesty lemon flavor and aroma to many Thai dishes. Lemon juice (or lime) may be substituted for lemongrass in a pinch, but citrus fruits will not be able to fully replicate its particular qualities.

Lemongrass is also thought to have numerous health benefits , especially when used in combination with other Thai spices such as garlic, fresh chillies, and coriander. (For more on the health benefits of lemongrass and other Thai ingredients, see: Is Thai Food Good for You?) In fact, scientists are now studying Thailand's favorite soup: Tom Yum Kung, which contains all of these herbs and spices, with lemongrass as the key player. Tom Yum is thought to be capable of combatting colds, flus, and even some cancers