Presidente clone recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

preyes

Presidente clone recipe

Post by preyes »

Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for the Presidente beer from the Dominican Republic? It can be either all grain or extract.

Thanks
Laura13

Post by Laura13 »

How much flaked maize is typical in an "American" lager?
This is what I was thinking:
7 lbs 6-row
2 lbs flaked maize
1 lb Vienna

.5 oz Galena 60 min

This beer is brewed in the Dominican Republic, and is delicious. It does not travel well, so I guarantee that it sucked if you tried it outside its home country. Despite being described generically as an American macro lager by beeradvocate.com, to my taste this is closer to a vienna.

Any ideas how one would go about it? I'm going back to the DR again in a few weeks (my second time), and I'm sure I will reacquire the taste. Unfortunately they only export in green bottles so I'll have to make my own. I've never tried brewing a corn/rice adjunct beer before.
Last edited by Laura13 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
slothrob

American Lager

Post by slothrob »

I believe that 1-2#/5 gallons would be common.

Have you ever made a Lager before?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jistatz

Presidente Clone

Post by jistatz »

Just got back from the DR and had the same desire to make a Presidente clone. We averaged a case to case and a half a day of this stuff.

Did this recipe work?
Beer is food, good food!
eltiguere

Re: Presidente clone recipe

Post by eltiguere »

Did anyone have any luck cloning the dominican version of Presidente beer? There is a big difference between the american version and the "Official" dominican version.
slothrob

Re: Presidente clone recipe

Post by slothrob »

Is the alcohol level the same between the two versions? Sometimes the reason that a particular beer is more flavorful in one country than another is that one is a bigger beer. That is true of the Caribbean version of Guinness, I've heard. Alternately, the home country beer might be all malt, with the US version made with more adjunct. Or perhaps the exported beer is pasteurized, ruining the delicate flavor.

A subtle beer like this is always going to be tough to clone precisely. For a more flavorful version of something similar to this, you might try making a Helles.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP