Molasses Porter?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

TexasMike

Molasses Porter?

Post by TexasMike »

When brewing an all grain Porter with molasses added (from a recipe here). When do I add the molasses? Last 5 minutes of the boil maybe?

Any tried/killer recipes welcome.

Thanks

Mike
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re:Molasses

Post by Legman »

I brew frequently with molasses, treacle and Lyles Golden Syrup.
I believe you could put them in the boil at any time, but I prefer to add them the last 15 min. of the boil to prevent any scorching.

Molasses and treacle add a very prominate flavor to the final product. I usually add no more than .5 lb to any recipe. I've been hesitant to use any more than that because I don't want it to over power the malt flavor. But you may find that you like that result. I've seen several recipes that use up to 2 lb.

Experiment some to find out what you prefer.
The Professor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by The Professor »

Molasses (or alternatively, brown sugar) is great in a porter and even in some special bitters...but heed Legman's advice; it can be intense so you don't want to go overboard. You may have to experiment to find the right threshold for the profile you're after. But it does really compliment a good porter. Sugars like this definitely have a place in quality brewing. The all-grain evangelists aside, some of the best beers in England, present and past, use various sugars such as this.