Best Oktoberfest I ever tasted

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Best Oktoberfest I ever tasted

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Greeting all,

I bottled an Oktoberfest last night that I brewed sometime back. It was my first all grain pre-assembled kit, I bought it at Homebrew Adventures in Charlotte NC. I ususally formulate my own recipes and go from there, but while I was in their shop, they were offering this one as a kit of the month for August, the price was too good to pass up. Much to my surprise so is the taste. If you want to duplicate it, look under all grain recipe for Octoberfest here in the archives under "Autumn in Bavaria" You'll love this one.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Oktoberfest

Post by BillyBock »

Your recipe looks good, Paul. How do you like White Labs? I've been using Wyeast smack packs. Should I switch?

BTW, infrastructure project #1 is coming--a 15 cu.ft. chest freezer. Now I'll be able to make lagers, maybe I'll start w/ your recipe? Gotta do something about this TX heat ya know. Besides, SWMBO won't let wort come anywhere near the house :-)
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

White Labs

Post by dartedplus »

I have been using mostly White Labs for over a year now. I really like the pitchable tubes. Just take it out of the fridge before you start your brewing process, and shakeit every once in a while. Then by the time you are ready to pitch it, its ready. I do sometimes make a starter, but it does fine without doing this. I myself have been looking for a deep freeze, but because I need the freezer space. There have been a bunch in the area that people are just giving away if you come and pick them up, but I'm usually too late and they are gone. I'm actually looking for an upright to save a little space compared to a chest freezer. Maybe one of these days I will be able to get one for brewing too, because I would love to make some lagers.

Ed
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

White Labs with starter

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Billy,

I love the White Labs Line of yeasts. They tend to be about $1.00 more than the smack pack but worth every penny. I have touted on and on about how important the yeast part of you brew is, and it can really "Make" a brew so much better. But I am biased in that regard. I have found that agreeing with Ed that you can pitch it right into your fermenter, but if you make a starter 24 hours in advance of 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water and throw in a few hop pellets boiled for 15 minutes and cooled, once pitched in the fermenter, your airlock is going to take off in just a few hours, NO LAG ... I am hooked ...

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks Guys

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks Ed & Paul. How big is the White Labs pitchable tube versus a Wyeast 50mL or 175mL smack pack? I think I'll be switching brands.