Orange Peel

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

hawk3411

Orange Peel

Post by hawk3411 »

I want to add orange peel to an amber ale (My wife is a University of Texas grad and I am brewing a "Hook-em Ale" for this years UT football games... they are burnt orange... the beer is a light amber), but I have never used this ingredient before. There are two types from what I have seen... Orange Peel (bitter) and Orange Peel (sweet). The instructions on both say to add 2 oz. to last 15 min. of boil (typical) or 4oz. to last 15 min. for a stronger flavor... and that is fine with me, but I am needing to know what the difference in flavor will be on the 2 oz. vs 4 oz., what the difference in bitter vs. sweet will be, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

And please don't sabotage my UT beer :mrgreen: :cry:

Hawk
Some see the glass as half empty,
others see the glass as half full,
I am just wondering who the hell is
Drinking My Beer!
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

I've only used the bitter peel. It doesn't add that much orange flavor, since the pith (the white stuff under the peel) contributes most of the flavor, which is bitter.

I've heard suggestions for just zesting an orange or two into the pot during the last 5 minutes. Should add fresh orange flavors. If you add the pith you'll get the bitter flavors as well.

Not sure how much color it will add, but I would guess not much.
hawk3411

Post by hawk3411 »

Thanks for the info. My first instinct was to use the zest... probably what I will end up trying. I was not looking for any color and was primarily wanting the orange in the beer for novelty more than much flavor, but I would like it to add something to the beer.

Hawk
Drinking My Beer!
rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by rrosa »

I used about 4 oz of zest of a certain type of sweet orange (six of them) in 5gal for a witbier and it was too much. After that, the most I saw in some recipes was zest of four oranges. You could do a search for orange in the recipe database just to check.
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Orange flavor

Post by wwarrior152 »

Just a sugestion, I made a belgin wit It didn't seem to have much orange flavor so I added two packets of unsweetened orange Kool-Aid to the secondary frementation. surprisingly it made a really good lawn mower beer.
hawk3411

Orange Peel

Post by hawk3411 »

I thought I posted this earlier, but I guess I previewed... sorry for the delay in my reply.

Thanks for all the replies. I found a sweet orange flavoring from the supplier I order from over the Internet. (see link)

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... cts_id=469

This supplier is great! I order from them all the time and they tend to ship the product within an hour and a half of ordering via UPS. I live 3 and half hours from Austin, TX, so I get my stuff quick.

Anyway, I am going to try this flavoring on this batch and, depending on how this turns out, I may try some of the other suggestions from here.

I will let everyone know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Hawk
Drinking My Beer!
hawk3411

Catastrophie!

Post by hawk3411 »

For those of you who posted or were reading this topic, the orange peel wort smelled great after the boil and I was able to sneak a quick taste of the semi-cool wort; however, we will never know if it would have made a good beer... see link:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3989
Drinking My Beer!
candleman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by candleman »

i have used orange peel in a bunch of different batches.i did not use the stuff from the supply store.i took a couple of oranges,washed the skin really good,peeled them and just threw in the peels for the last 15 minutes.it gave a great aroma from the wort,and it gave a nice bitter flavor also.

for light summer ales i find coriander,orange peel,and grated ginger to be great ingredients.sometimes i will use all 3 in a batch.