Help with Yeast nutrients ?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Help with Yeast nutrients ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Happy New years Hop Vine, thanks for all the replies on the dry hops, now for my next dilema. What are yeast nutrients, how do they work and how much should I use? I have found a couple of web sites that sell them but no explaination on how to use them, any clarrification on this topic is greatly appreciated. I am glad that I "stumbled" on beer tools. The friendship and eagerness to help others is commendable. Cheers Brother and Sister brewers ...
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Side dishes

Post by l48shark »

I am afraid that I cannot offer a terribly scientific answer, but they say that Man cannot live on bread alone and the same goes for yeast and sugar. Yeast, being a living organism, requires supplements in order to break down the sugar, such as amino acids, enzymes and minerals. This is why I brew with natural Arkansas spring water. It contains minerals, unlike distilled water, but it has no chlorine added, like tap water has. So if the sugar is the steak, think of the nutrients as the baked potato and peas. I could be mistaken, but I believe yeast nutrient is some form of salt. Having only used a nutrient once when I added the packet that came with a kit, I am unable to advise you how much to use. But I recommend calling any homebrew supply store and talk to their "alpha brewer" if no one else replies here. Hope this helps.
-Ford
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

This might help...

Post by dartedplus »

I have used yeast nutrient when making mead and wine. I think it is needed when there are no enzymes for the yeast grow in a healthy manner. Most of the grain that we use these days is modified, which I think means that due to some processes, there is not a problem with the enzymes that are needed. the same goes for the extracts. Because someone has already done the work and probably had a protein rest while processing the barley. I'm not 100% sure that my answer is correct, but I'm pretty sure that it is in the right direction. Like the previous response mentioned, check with your local brew shop for more answers.
Here is something from Papazian, p.112, "Proteins are nutrients that are in the form of free amino acids. They are developed in the maltin process or during the mashing process (the proteinb rest at 122 degrees F). They are required for healthy cell structure."
So therefore you may need them when you are using unmalted barley and /or not doing a full mash. Also when making mead or wine, as these amino acids are absent in honey are grapes. I hope that helped answer your question.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

3 teaspoons

Post by Push Eject »

Dr. Maribeth Raines (or MB) is a member of my brewclub and a tremendous resource for brewers. When I began brewing higher gravity beers, she helped with a few stuck fermentations.
She developed a yeast nutrient for sale at brewersresource.com (or brewtek.com) -- A-46