Which type of water does everyone use to brew?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

What type of water do you use to brew?

Tap Water (unfiltered)
44%
Tap Water (filtered)
44%
Spring Water
6%
Distilled Water
6%
Premium Water (Poland Springs, Evian, etc)
No votes

Total votes: 16

Kepler57
Light Lager
Light Lager

Which type of water does everyone use to brew?

Post by Kepler57 »

I am going to be brewing a few batches and before i go out an buy some water, i was just curious what experiences people are having with different types of water.

I live in a town with very hard water (the kind that necesitates 3 coffee makers per year usless your smart enough to use bottled) so i have previously brewed with distilled water. This time i was thinking of using Spring Water.

What does everyone else use? Any reccomendations (Distilled vs. Spring)

~ Mike
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

City Water

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I live in Clarksville, TN and have city water which has a strong (in my opinion) clorinated smell. I have an under the sink water filter that I bought at WalMart and have Pur brand filter on the tap. It takes a while to get the water I need but I am sure that it's good water.
They say that beer is 90% water so I insure that my water is pure.

V/r

James
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

GAC Filter

Post by BillyBock »

I use a granulated active charcoal (GAC) filter and RV drinking water hoses from the outside tap. It's flow rate is 0.5 gpm. But it removes chlorine, organic volatiles, and anything else that might taint the flavor of my beer. If you want to know your water chemistry, check with the city--they'll usually post it on-line.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Definitely spring water over distilled water

Post by richanne »

Mike,

Definitely choose spring water over distilled water. Distilled water has all the chemicals stripped out of it. Spring water is great for beer, although admittedly more expensive than most other water.

We use mostly Brita-filtered water and adjust with chemicals depending on the beer style. But if you're going to be just using the water as is, spring water is the best way to go, and distilled water is about the worst.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
Homebrew54

Re: Which type of water does everyone use to brew?

Post by Homebrew54 »

I disagree with using spring water and use distilled water. You can adjust the chemicals to fit your needs. Use a program like Bru'n Water to get your adjustments correct. Distilled water you can add Gypsum, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, Calcium Chloride, Chalk, Pickling Lime to meet your needs. Adjust it to 5 or ten gallon brews on all grain or extract brewing. With Bru'n Water you can put in your own water if you get it tested and adjust your chemicals to meet your guild lines you set. Makes all the difference in the world and affect the taste of your brew. Try and brew 5 gallons without adjustments and 5 gallons with. You will see what I mean!