Out of date Kit

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Garry

Out of date Kit

Post by Garry »

Hi,
I have done one brew and tasted it for the first time today... yes, a big day. So I'm looking for some words of advice for improvements.

First question regards my first brew: Flavor is pretty good, but the aftertaste is very dry, and high in what I can only describe as alcohol sensation/taste. Any clues as to the cause. The only thing I've found in troubleshooting texts on this is high temps when fermenting. It is summer here in Aus, but my temp never got above 25 deg C (about 77 deg F).

Any ideas?

Second is about a tin I have of Edme stout extract and yeast that expires this month. I think its too hot to brew so will keep it and try in april. Question is, should I get new yeast, and can I use both the old and new together - is that a good idea?

All help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Garry.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Alcohol taste

Post by brewmeisterintng »

You didn't list the other ingredients to your kit. If I were a betting man, sugar was in there somewhere. Yes, higher fermentation temp can cause the off taste but so can high sugar usage. (corn sugar not cane sugar should be used if any). I would use liquid or dry malt for my additional sugars. The third thing to discuse is yeast. It took me a long time to spend the money to buy liquid yeast versus the dry yeast packets that either come with the kit or bought seperately. The quality of beer produced with liquid is worth the money. I also use the yeast twice so as to cut the cost. Lets face it $6.50 is a lot for a vile of yeast.
I know you posted late last year and no one responded so better late than never.
Brewing is an art one does so that he and others can enjoy.
James
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by richanne »

Yes, the original post was last year, but it's not April yet.
If you're still around Aussie, when the time comes to brew, go ahead and get some fresh liquid yeast. If you want an Irish-style stout, go for an Irish Ale yeast.
That expiration date applies basically to the yeast, and the hopped extract should still be OK.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com