Going for High ABV

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

beerlover
Light Lager
Light Lager

Going for High ABV

Post by beerlover »

I'm going for a high ABV. I used a recipe for a belgian triple (except I had to substitute clear candy sugar for amber) so It'll be more like an Abbey. I've read that to achieve the desired high ABV that goes with recipes like this you should do a starter and give the wort Yeast Nutrient. I made the batch Sat and used no starter and had no nutrient. Anyway my question is.... to get the 9-11% as the recipe calls should I pitch another tube of yeast (1214 Wyeast Belgian ale) or run to the brew store to get some nutrient? The recipe said nothing about a starter or Nutrient, but I've read that separately in several expert books.

Experts - Thoughts and comments?

Much thanks
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

High Gravity Worts

Post by BillyBock »

These bad boys also need a healthy dose of aeration to get them to ferment to terminal gravity. It wouldn't hurt to pitch another tube--add it gently into the wort to avoid unnecessary oxidation. There's also another product call Yeast Energizer which is to help with stuck ferments--which may end up happening. I'd let it ferment on it's own and see what the gravity is when you rack it to secondary. If it's still too high, you could always add dry champagne yeast (which is flavor neutral) to finish the job. Then just chalk this one up to experience.

v/r
Bill