"Ole Ballantine clone

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

"Ole Ballantine clone

Post by hophead »

I was wondering if any of you out there remember the Ballantine ale that was produced by P.Ballantine & Son in Newark N.J. until the early to mid 70's? I know that it is still made today but it is NOT the same that came from Newark. I've been trying to duplicate it for some time.....but with very limited success. My question, i guess, is two fold, are their any of you out there that are old enough to remember it, and does anyone have a recipe? Many thanks.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

I remember it, XXX was my favorate.

Post by Brewer2001 »

I to have been looking for a recipe to make Ballantine. Having grown up in New York it was the first 'beer' that I drank on a regular basis. I liked the hop tang even though I am not a fan of highly hopped ales. I have a copy of 'North American Clone Brews' by Scott R. Russell. It contains a recipe for XXX on page 138. He states that this is a Falstaff clone, not the original. I have not tried this one yet. I am still working on my Red ale, Stout and a bitter like Bottington's. The XXX is on my to do list. If you can't find a copy of this book send me your Email address and I can scan a copy of the page and send it to you. I am glad to see that XXX has a following.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ballentine XXX recipe

Post by Azorean Brewer »

WOW I thought that I was the only one that really missed that beer, I too am old enough to remember that great beer and wish I had a few cases too ... LOL ... anyway, I found these extract and all grain recipes at http://www.leeners.com this is taken right from that site, if you are not an all grainer try the extract recipe. Good luck, and I in no way tried to plagerise these recipes they are out on the web for all to view.

Ballentine XXX Ale All Grain

6-3/4 lb American 2-Row
1/4 lb Munich Malt
3/4 lb Cooked Rice
3/4 lb Flaked Maize
1-1/4 lb Crystal 20L
2 oz Williamette Hops 60 min.
2 oz Williamette Hops 5 min.
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min.
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
3/4 cup Corn Sugar for priming

Mash grains for 30 minutes at 135 degrees F. Raise the mash temperature to 160 degrees F and mash an additional 30 minutes.
Sparge and collect wort. Bring wort to a boil, and add 2 oz Williamette hops. Boil 45 minutes. Add irish moss boil 10 minutes. Add 2oz Williamette hops and boil 5 minutes. Cool wort and pitch yeast.
First Fermentation 5-7 days
Secondary Fermentation 3-5 days. Drop temperature to 40 degrees F and condition an additonal 2 days. Bottle or keg. Age 3-4 weeks before serving.

Ballentine XXX Ale Extract

1/8 lb Crystal 20L
1 lb Flaked Maize
3/4 lb Maris Otter
1/4 lb Carapils
4 lb Alexanders Pale Extract
1 lb Plain Extra Light Dry Malt
1 lb Rice Syrup
2 oz Williamette Hops 60 min.
2 oz Williamette Hops 5 min.
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min.
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
3/4 cup Corn Sugar for priming Steep grains for 30 minutes at 155 degrees F. Remove grains and stir in extracts and rice syrup. Bring to boil. Add boiling hops and boil for 45 minutes. Add Irish Moss and boil for 10 minutes. Add finishing hops and boil for 5 minutes. Cool wort and pitch yeast. Ferment for 5-7 days at 70 degrees F. Secondary Fermentation 5 days at 65 degrees. Drop temperature to 40 degrees F and condition an additonal 2 days. Bottle or keg. Age 3-4 weeks before serving.
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by hophead »

Thanks for the reply and it sure is great to meetup with yet another "Ole Ballantine fan". It was a true classic. It's still made today but it don't hold a candle to the Bally of old. I checked out the site, only one question tho......"WHY" would anyone want to clone Bud?:):)