McEwan's Scotch Ale

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jimsmasonry

McEwan's Scotch Ale

Post by jimsmasonry »

I know it's been asked before but it has been awhile & the answers seemed ify so I thought I'd ask again. Does anyone have a dead ringer recipe for (my favorite) McEwan's Scotch Ale (grain preferably)?
Does anyone know if it can be purchased in the U.S. anymore?

Thanks so much, Jim.
The Professor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by The Professor »

I haven't seen McEwan's Scotch for quite some time. The brands have been acquired by another brewery recently from what I understand, so who knows...we may see it again.

If you're looking to reproduce it, all I can say is mash at a higher temp, aim for a high OG, and use a yeast that will finish at a higher FG.

While not totally "authentic", you also might want to add a good proportion of dark Munich malt to your grist to achieve the requisite 'malty' character. And go easy on the hops. Use less than you even think you should.
MariaWew

McEwans Scotch Ale

Post by MariaWew »

In case you are comparing the flavor to other scotch strong ales you have tasted, its gonna take a good while for the malt to come forward and blend into a robust flavor. Like several months. If you dont think its just a green beer in this way, what was your FG and what type of yeast did you use at what temp.

:)