Grain Mills

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Grain Mills

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

This summer I will begin all grain brewing. My local homebrew store guy swears up and down that I don't need an adjustable grain mill. In fact he reccommends that I would be better off with a nonadjustable mill. I have found what I believe to be a well-crafted mill; however, it only comes as adjustable. Any thoughts?
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Congratulations: welcome to the club

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi MH,

I have been using my Corona Grain mill (successfully) for two years with great results. This is an adjustable unit, and although many brewers don't like the Corona I find it suits my needs perfectly. If you have an opportunity to puchase a good mill and it's adjustable, do what I did. Buy it, find the size grist you really want (this will come with experience) and once you have the setting, lock it down. I have not adjusted mine since after the second batch, and I am planning to brew my next one (#18) with the same mill.

Good luck and KEEP ASKING AND READING ...

Paul.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Beware the man who sells..........

Post by Fraoch »

If you have the choice, go for the adjustable.My guess is that your supplier has some non adjustables he needs to sell.
Youll need to vary the gap between different grains, for instance, a quota of roast or even crystal,will not require as much crushing as your pale will, and not all pale is the same size grain.The amount of crush is important,nothing worse than over cracking and getting a set sparge, also loss of extraction due to under crushing.Go the adjustable my man, otherwise youll regret your decision later down the track.

Cheers!

Fraoch