Xmas in April

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Xmas in April

Post by dartedplus »

A guy who lives pretty close to me is kind of a pack rat, all kinds of stuff(junk) in his yard. Well today I stopped by to see if he had any kegs. I got 4 cornies for $5 each. All in good shape. Now I just need to get some gasket kits and replace the things that the connects go onto (poppets????) and then I'm in business. At least to fill them. I still need the faucets, shanks, hose, and CO2. Then I'm really in business. I cant wait!!!!

Ho Ho Ho

Ed
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good deal!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Nice pick-up. It's nice you didn't have to pay shipping on bulky items like that. my carbonic supplier has a yard full of assorted scrap SS, and I need to rummage around and see if he has any lost cornies in need of a home.

I would definately replace all the gaskets - that soda smell never comes out. As far as faucets and shanks, do it on the cheap at first and just use the $2 cobra picnic taps. Also, to minimize foaming, use 3/16" ID line rather than teh 1/4" most shops want to sell you - it makes a big difference, especially with slightly more carbonated brews.

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No Cobras Here!!! SSSSSSSS...

Post by dartedplus »

I'm just going right to faucets and shanks. I figure why stop in the middle when I can go right to where I want to be. The prices aren't bad at rapids, so I'm going to get 2 of each and I did plan on getting the 3/16 hose. I figured 4' for each line because I heard 2psi per foot of line is a pretty good measure for carbonation. I think I can get the CO2 tank from my moms house. There is a tank there, although I'm not sure what is in it. But from what I've heard they will swap tanks with me when I go to fill it.

Now I just need to have some beer to put in it. The one I have in the carboy is just refusing to drop below 1.034, so I may just have to keg it up and see what happens. It started at 1.064 so it has about 4.04%ABV. I gotta go
Ed
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

They may

Post by fitz »

They may swap one out for you, depending on the place. Some require the tank have the date pressure tested to be stamped on the cylinder, if it isn't they'll charge for the test. If the test was over 5 years ago, they'll charge for a test. The same goes for the new ones in the brew supply stores. If they aren't stamped with the test date, my suppliers require a test be done. If you have trouble, get buddies with a bar or soda shop owner. They'll charge you what they get charged for a large CO2 bottle. This isn't a bad deal if you are looking at buying one. Welding shops will rent you their bottle with the purchase of their gas if you don't have any other luck.