Cleaning the RIMS

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Cleaning the RIMS

Post by dartedplus »

Now that it is togetther and working, what should I use to clean out the flux and other assorted stuff that is in the system. I was thinking of making a batch of PBW and circulating that for a while and then rinsing with star san. Will that be sufficient to remove all the gunk????

Ed
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What I Do to Clean Copper

Post by BillyBock »

This is my approach--maybe it's overkill but I can't stand flux in my beer :-) Consequently, I've switched to a water soluble flux which is a lot easier to clean up.

I like to mix up a batch of Oxyclean, or PBW, and let it sit for a couple of hours. I'll clean the outside of the copper with steel wool and water to remove the exterior grunge. After a hot water rinse, I mix up some boiling vingear/water (or star san) and let the copper pieces bathe in that for a while until it's bright and shiny.

For your situation, I think I'd recirculate hot PBW for an hour, followed by a hot water flush, and then recirculate heated star san, followed by a final cold water flush. Anyone else with any ideas?

v/r
Bill
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

thanks

Post by dartedplus »

I did forget to say that I was gonna put some vinegar/water through it due to the small coating of lead on the brass ball valves, as I nderstand this is what you are supposed to do for them.

I too agree, that I dont want any flux in my beer!!!! but you never know, maybe its a tastee adjunct. I cant wait to get this thing all ready to go so I can brew again. I'm running out of beer, anyone have some extra....

Ed
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Wow

Post by Push Eject »

Wow -- you guys clean your stuff?

:)

Charlie
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale