It's Finally Done!!!!!!

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It's Finally Done!!!!!!

Post by dartedplus »

I have finally completed putting together my stand alone RIMS. (well for the most part its complete, still needs one or two small things) I had it running today, no leaks!!!! It does heat up quite slowly. For anyone that has one, at what rate does yours heat up. I still need to have the time to get my temp settings figured out.

How should I go about cleaning out all the copper pipe (flux and other nasties). I have some PBW and was gonna make a 5 gallon batch and just circulate it through the system for a while.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ed
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Photos?

Post by Push Eject »

Hi, Ed

Do you have photos you can post online? I'm designing my own system right now and would love to see what you've done.

Cheers,
Charlie
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Soon

Post by dartedplus »

As soon as I drag it into the light of day, I'll take some pics and put them on my website. I thought using a dimmer switch with the heating element would control the temp, but it doesnt. So I will have to add a thermostat to the system. Just 1 more thing to do. In the meantime I can get those pics taken.
Will keep you posted

Ed
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

PHOTOS

Post by dartedplus »

www.geocities.com/edthedart65/RIMS

it takes me forever to put pics online due to my slooooowwwwwwwww connection.
Enjoy
Ed
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Nice mill!

Post by jayhawk »

That is sure a fine mill you got there. Love the idea of using wood, never ever considered that.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Got the idea from Jeff

Post by dartedplus »

Here is where I got the idea from
http://www.beertools.com/html/articles/mill.shtml

I've had one problem with it in that the wood at one end where the adjusting screws go through has cracked from the pressure exerted on it. So right now I am having a piece of metal fabricated to fit over the end to strengthen it. Aside from that, I am very happy with it. Plus, my dad helped in making it so it brings me fond memories of him.
Thanks for the comments.
Ed
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks for sharing

Post by Push Eject »

Very good, Ed.

The pump I got is the March MDX-MT3. Which pump did you get? Is it self priming? Does it really matter?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

March is good

Post by dartedplus »

I was going to buy the MDXT but I got a Teel pump on eBay, I forget which model it is. It is pretty quiet and seems to wrk well. I had the temp up to 193 and it didnt bother the pump, which is only rated for something like 155*. I dont know about the self priming thing. I just open up the valve and let it flood the pump and then turn it on. I also restrict the amount of flow to about 1/3 gallon/minute. I hope you are doing well setting up your system.