tubing question

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

tubing question

Post by bredmakr »

I have come across 150 ft of teflon lined polyvinyl tubing. 3/8 inch ID and 1/2 inch OD. temp rated to 350F and pressure rated to 250 psi. It is not real easy to work with because it is not real flexible. anybody know of a reason why I should not use this tubing to hook up my new pump to my brewery? It has never been used so contamination concerns are nil.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

why not

Post by fitz »

The way you described it sounds as if it would be a good all around tubing, especially if it is colored dark enough to keep out UV light. The way you descibe it, it sounds like the pex tubing that I just installed into my radiant floor heat. That stuff is potable grade tubing so it would be great for a brewery. Its only drawback is it is harder to work with. If it kinks, take a hair dryer to it the heat will iron them right out without hurting the line.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Science Dept. Report

Post by Freon12 »

Is the tubing a milky white color and not translucent? If so my man, your in business.

Also, tubing like that can be kinda pricey depending on how it was cured. Plus if you can't crush it with your fingernail, you can use compression fittings without an insert(Swagloc is the best).

Steve
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

milky white enviro tubing

Post by bredmakr »

It is left over sample pump tubing from an environmental groundwater sampling job. Never even left the workshop. The exterior is milky white and firm. Going to buy the compression fittings after work. thanks for the input!