out of whack refractometer

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

CanadianNorth

out of whack refractometer

Post by CanadianNorth »

hi,

I just bought my first refractometer, a 0-18 BRIX from Ebay. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to read correctly.

I have calibrated it with distilled water several times, and it reads 0 clrearly and perfectly. However, when I add wort from my primary fermenter I'm getting readings of 6.5 (spec. grav ~ 1.026) instead of the hydrometers reading of 1.015.

With a brew that was at 1.030 (brix of ~7.6) I am getting a fuzzy 15!

The reading are not a clear line, like the water, but I am guessing that is because of the murkyness of my brew.

I am getting the conversions from Beer Tools Pro.

Help!
conman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by conman »

how long has the wort been fermenting or has it just gone in?
unless you have a refractometer that compensates for alcohol, it will not read accurately after fermentation begins and alcohol has been created.

I also have one I got off ebay over a year ago, and it works great during the brew day, but I use my hydrometer for every step after that.

they do make refractometers that compenste for alcohol, but the ones I've seen are much more expensive.

please dont take any of this as fact, because I have been known to be wrong at least 50% of the time. :roll:

I went to Morebeer and remembered seeing this video and spreadsheet a while ago. check it out if you need a better explanation.
http://morebeer.com/learn_vids/vids_refract
Homebrewing since 1998!
CanadianNorth

Post by CanadianNorth »

hey

I think that might explain it. NOW i understand why Beer Tools Pro wants your original gravity and current gravities when calculating SG from BRIX.

thanks!!!!!!!!!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

There's also a spreadsheet at more beer that takes the alcohol into account when using a refractometer once fermtation has begun.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)