Monster Mill gap setting?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Monster Mill gap setting?

Post by mmmooretx »

Just put on order, no arrive date yet, the MM3-2 stainless unit (2" rollers) so will have to do the bin build out & platform for my Dewalt 1/2" drill. Anyway as a generic question what gap setting do you like for your mill?
Thanks in advance.
Mike Moore
N5RWH
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

gap setting

Post by Legman »

I have a barley crusher that I'm still using at the factory setting. It's at .039 thousands of an inch. I'm consistently hitting efficiencies in the low 80's.
I could go more I suppose, but at this point I'm please with the crush and my efficiency. If you set it too high, you'll get a stuck mash/sparge.
mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mmmooretx »

I have heard 0.039" before and have asked both of our local home brew suppliers what their grinders were set at. One was at 0.050" and the other did not know. I have been adding about 0.5 lb. of rice hulls to add some extra loft/fluff to my mash, but am now thinking of increasing that to 1 lb. due to a stuck mash on a 10 gallon batch. Do you add rice hulls, and if so how much on average for a batch?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike Moore
N5RWH
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

No, I haven't used rice hulls yet. I just recently picked some up to have on standby. At this time, I'm only going to use them when I have a large percentage of flaked grain....especially oats. In a normal mash, I don't really think you would need them.
As far as how much to use, I've seen a variety of answers. So I don't really know.