Lager temp

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lager temp

Post by Kilerclown »

Continuing on with my first lager attempt...so far so good...However, now I transferred into the secondary which is a glass carboy and have it in the frige, the temp on the thermometer in the frige itself is 40 F but I have no way of knowing the temp of the brew in the glass carboy. Does anyone have any hints? I was thinking of sanatizing the thermometer and a piece of nylon string and keeping it in the carboy to monitor but somehow this idea doesnt strike me as the brightest idea Ive had. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

LCD strip

Post by Freon12 »

They make a flat lcd type thermometer you stick to the side of the carboy(outside). Remember in just a few hours almost anything will assume room tempreture to the core. If the tempreture is 40f an average of the contents of your container will be about 42-43f. Check your information on the yeast you are using at the website for that yeast, I think you may be running a bit cold. Most are like 54f.
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Relax

Post by Monkey Man »

Thermometers are made that adhere to the side of your ferementer. Try to get one. If the yeast is not actively feremnting the beer the yeast will produce little if any heat. According to Newton's law of cooling (or is it heating?) the contents of your carboy, assuming it isn't producing any heat, will cool at a rate proportional to the difference in temperature of the carboy and the surroundings. In short, relax have a homebrew. It's been a few days since your post. Your beer if still sitting in the 40 degree fridge is probably at 40 degrees.