[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Refractometer questions

Refractometer questions

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Refractometer questions

Postby Robertjm94706 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 am

Robertjm94706

Postby soyousee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 am

soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:57 am

There are refractometers that measure alcohol, but I personally have never heard of one combined with one that measures brix in the same instrument. For beer all you need is one in the 0-32 brix range. And if possible, you may want to look through the instrument before purchase. The reticle can be hard to read and takes a certain level of visual acuity. Here is a basic that you may find useful.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby Robertjm94706 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Robertjm94706

Postby soyousee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:24 pm

soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:53 am

ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby soyousee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 am

soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

I'm thinking of getting one, too

Postby billvelek » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:49 pm

I don't have a refractometer, although I've been thinking of getting one. To comment on a couple of posts, I went here -- -- and it says "The model can directly and approximately read out the alcohol degrees of the grape wine made by the original juice", so I would interprete that to mean that it can read BOTH brix and alcohol, but then again the ad could be false. And of course the bid might go a lot higher, too.

I guess I need to study up on this a bit before making a commitment. Are there any particular brands to avoid ... or that are recommended?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby slothrob » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:14 pm

I could be wrong, I don't use a refractometer, but I've read many times that they only measure sugar and that they are only useful for taking pre-fermentation gravity. I'm just saying this because, unless you find out otherwise, you might spend a decent amount of money on a tool that doesn't do what you want it to do.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:57 pm

ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby soyousee » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 am

soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 am

ColoradoBrewer