Outdoor Brewing Tips

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Outdoor Brewing Tips

Post by BillyBock »

I'm looking for tips and advice from others who've brewed outdoors and have successfully transferred wort to the fermenter outdoors.

In order to keep domestic tranquility in the house with my wife, I'm moving the operation outdoors--I'm building a 3-tier. To minimize scalding burns, I'd rather transfer the wort outside than bringing in 10 gal of hot wort to the kitchen and transferring inside. Thanks in advance.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Custom Brewpot

Post by l48shark »

I saw this done at a friend's house, who built a 3-tier, all-grain system. He boils his large volume wort in a keg that sits on a reinforced propane turkey fryer base. As I recall, the keg had a valve at the bottom, so after he chilled the wort, he ran a hose from the valve into the fermenter and filled about 3 of them with cool wort. The whole thing is all homemade and is a really nice setup.
Cheers,
Ford
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Outdoor brewing.

Post by Brewer2001 »

I have been brewing out side on my back deck for a year. I moved outside when I went to a larger brewpot and propane burner. I live in Seattle where the winter and summer temperatures are not extreme (I still mash inside during the winter). The move outside has helped me a lot due to the better boil and ease of clean up. I have not had any spoilage problems but I keep everything covered and do not transfer on windy days especially in the fall month. It could be inconveinient if you need to shut off your water taps in the winter (if you plan to brew during those months). I use the cold weather to clarify during my secondary ferment.

Good luck.