[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - new to homebrewing...do i need a secondary fermenter?

new to homebrewing...do i need a secondary fermenter?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

new to homebrewing...do i need a secondary fermenter?

Postby corinne » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:14 am

i am on my 2nd homebrewbrew....when i purchased my homebrew kit, it included a 5 gallon glass carboy and one 6.5 gallon plastic bucket (and told it was for the bottling process only). i've brewed with friends before and they use the primary fermentor (the glass carboy) from start (pitching yeast) to the finish (transfer to plastic bucket for bottling). after reading the site's intro to brewing, it sounds like i should transfer the beer to a secondary after a week. is this necessary?
corinne

secondary

Postby Dutchbrew » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Hmm what kind of beer did you make. I'd say if its a low gravity extract brew you should be fine without secondary fermentation. Secondary fermentation is used to transfer your beer off the dead yeast once primary fermentation is done. If it sits on the dead yeast longer than 2 weeks it will give your beer a rubbery taste. secondary fermentation also helps clarify the beer since you siphon the beer all the trub that has settled to the bottom of the fermentor... and it will also help the ingredients in your beer mold together better if say you have multiple types of specialty grain involved. If you enjoy the hobby and really get into it you will really want to start using secondary fermentation.
Dutchbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: new to homebrewing...do i need a secondary fermenter?

Postby pcharles » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:46 pm

pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby jawsfree » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:17 pm

AMD Phenom IIX4 830 Processor 2.80 GHz
6.00 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
64-bit Operating System
jawsfree
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: new to homebrewing...do i need a secondary fermenter?

Postby nikkormat » Sun May 22, 2011 3:13 am

nikkormat

Postby Capt Zero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 am

Capt Zero

secondary

Postby slothrob » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby Capt Zero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:54 am

Capt Zero

Postby slothrob » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP