Best Value Propane Burner for a Newbie

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Kepler57
Light Lager
Light Lager

Best Value Propane Burner for a Newbie

Post by Kepler57 »

As many of you who read this forum already know it only took me one batch to get hooked. My first brew was an Octoberfest brewed with a friend before Christmas, and now i have finally made the investment in my own brewing equipment and i am getting hooked quicker than i thought.

I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and backpacking, and i have been using my MSR Dragonfly white gas stove to do my boiling. Since I see myself moving to all grain brewing over the next year i think it would be wise to invest in a high BTU propane burner system.

Which burners are the best in terms fo function and value? Is a double burner worth the investment?

I would not mind spending $50-80 for a single burner system or $100 for a double burner. Please point me in the right direction. Links to internet retailers would be a great help.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Bayou Classic

Post by BillyBock »

When deciding what to get keep in mind your intended batch size and kettle diameter. I use the Bayou Classic burners because I find they're a little more universal when it comes to fitting a kettle due to the square shape and size. It stands about 13" tall and the surface is 16" square--perfect for large kettles such as converted kegs or Polarware. I'm not forced into a particular kettle due to the burner. They're availabe at Home Depot or Lowe's. They also have plenty of juice to get water/wort heated quickly. I looked at some of the double burners and they weren't wide enough to accomodate two converted kegs. With these burners I've been averaging three 10 gallon all-gran batches per 20# propane tank.

Morebeer.com sells a stainless steel version, otherwise they're normally black.

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15768

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill
Alvin

Best Value Propane Burner for a newbie

Post by Alvin »

I started out with a cheap 4 inch burner in a 12 inch base but when turned up to a higher level output there was always a deposit of black soot under my stock pot indicating poor efficiency and wasting a lot of fuel. Check out the Kings Kooker Model TL280. It has two separate jets and two sets of rings for a wide range of output and there is never a trace of soot on the pot. It features automatic ignition and I believe it is also available for natural gas. It is made in Taiwan and distributed by Music City Metals in Nashville, Tennessee. Cost is a little over 100 U S $.
sixty8doors

Post by sixty8doors »

I just moved my beer making outside and i bought a "bayou classic" brand burner. they make a variety of sizes ranging from $30 on up. Mine was $45 at Home Despot. Mine was the outdoor patio stove "SQ-14". Someplace I read its an 80,000BTU burner, but other places ive read its a 130,000BTU burner. Either way, it bring my wort to a boil quickly and efficiently. Im really proud of this burner! You cant buy something like this in a beer making catalog for under $80.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... OID=656762
4/29 Batch: RAUCHBIER. Status: Bottled/Conditioning 6.1%
4/29 Batch: PILSNER. Status: Bottled/Conditioning 5.0%

#1 Fujistu Lifebook - 2.0GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB RAM, 1280x800
#2 Gateway FX510XL - 3.2GHz, 500GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB Vid
pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Best Value Propane Burner for a newbie

Post by pcharles »

Alvin wrote:I started out with a cheap 4 inch burner in a 12 inch base but when turned up to a higher level output there was always a deposit of black soot under my stock pot indicating poor efficiency and wasting a lot of fuel. Check out the Kings Kooker Model TL280. It has two separate jets and two sets of rings for a wide range of output and there is never a trace of soot on the pot. It features automatic ignition and I believe it is also available for natural gas. It is made in Taiwan and distributed by Music City Metals in Nashville, Tennessee. Cost is a little over 100 U S $.
It probably just needed adjusting. All the burners have a little metal disk where the brass hose fitting is. When that is closed you get a cooler yellow flame with soot, when full open you get a hotter blue flame.
marcom1234

Post by marcom1234 »