Chloramine Removal

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

slothrob

Chloramine and old Campden

Post by slothrob »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Hi Slothrob. I was wondering if you've had a chance to do your Campden experiment. My Campden tablets are a few years old, so I'm interested in the results.
Sorry, I never got back to you on this, but I just saw that you were still around.

Anyway, I've had no problems since I got rid of the old Campden tablets. It's always possible that I had some contaminating yeast in my brewery, since I also gave it a thorough cleaning, but I had three batches in a row with what seemed to be a subtle chlorophenol problem and none since.

I suspect the problem was that the tablets had absorbed a lot of water from the air and changed somehow, chemically. The tablets had increased in size and become powdery and crumbly. I should have tossed them when I first noticed this, but I guess I probably learned something.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Thanks, slothrob. Good info on how the physical characteristics of the tablets changed. Although my Campden tablets are a few years old they haven't become enlarged or powdery, so I guess I'll use them until they're gone. I only have a few left anyway.

Yeah, I'm still here. I visit the site at least once a week, I just don't post much anymore.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Thanks, slothrob. Good info on how the physical characteristics of the tablets changed. Although my Campden tablets are a few years old they haven't become enlarged or powdery, so I guess I'll use them until they're gone. I only have a few left anyway.

Yeah, I'm still here. I visit the site at least once a week, I just don't post much anymore.
I suspect it's the ridiculous humidity we had here last summer that did them in, since I don't air condition my house. From my last trip to Colorado, I'd think you probably have much drier air up there than we have down here by the sea, so it might never be a problem for you. I store my grain in a sealed barrel with desiccant to keep it from spoiling. I store my brewing chemicals in there now, too.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP