Pre-boil Volume

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Pre-boil Volume

Post by Crusty »

Thanks jeff.
With those couple of changes & looking at the new expected figures, I'm pretty confident I'll be bang on my numbers next time.
My Lager has been brewing for just over 2 weeks @12degC. I've completed a diacetyl rest on Sunday for 48hrs then dropped temp back to 12degC for another week. This Sunday I'll drop the fermentation temp to 2degC for 4 weeks for lagering. So far so good but patience is painful.
The Electric Brewery, 3 Vessel, 30A
Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Crusty »

Just to dial my number in a bit more precisely, how do I go about correcting my actual volume of finished beer into the consumption keg.
I fell a little short in volume into the keg by roughly 1.5-2litres. Does that amount need to be calculated in my trub loss which is where I assume it went.
For example, I made a beer of 23L volume into the kettle @20degC, allowing for roughly 3L of trub not going to fermenter. I transferred to fermenter & somehow lost my trub loss volume sheet? Maybe this was more like 3.5-4L of trub loss? If so, I should of aimed for 24.5-25litres in the kettle @20DegC, is that correct? Transferred beer tastes amazing, crisp, clean & I can't wait to gas it up.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

To narrow down where the loss is, do you know your chilled wort volume? Did it hit the predicted volume?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Crusty »

jeff wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:12 am To narrow down where the loss is, do you know your chilled wort volume? Did it hit the predicted volume?
I ended up with the correct volume post boil but never quite got down to 20deg when chilling so I transferred to the fermenter. I'm fermenting in a 50lt sanke keg so I have no volume markings, just relying on the volume in the kettle post boil. I transferred & lost the brew sheet inputs but I must of had more trub than accounted for. I believe my boil off was spot on so I'm assuming I ended up with less wort to the fermenter & more trub.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Crusty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 amI believe my boil off was spot on so I'm assuming I ended up with less wort to the fermenter & more trub.
In that case I would just subtract the difference from the volume adjustment you have set up for trub losses. Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to do this but the math is pretty simple. For example, if your current adjustment predicts a loss of -3 L and you fell short 2 L in your net volume, subtract 2 from -3 for -5 L of trub loss.

If you have a percentage based volume adjustment set up for your trub loss, first divide your final volume by the difference, multiply by 100 and subtract that from your percentage value. For example, if your final chilled wort was 23 L and you missed your net volume by 2 L, 2 / 23 * 100 = 8.7%. Then subtract 8.7% from your current percentage.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Crusty »

jeff wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:53 am
Crusty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 amI believe my boil off was spot on so I'm assuming I ended up with less wort to the fermenter & more trub.
In that case I would just subtract the difference from the volume adjustment you have set up for trub losses. Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to do this but the math is pretty simple. For example, if your current adjustment predicts a loss of -3 L and you fell short 2 L in your net volume, subtract 2 from -3 for -5 L of trub loss.

If you have a percentage based volume adjustment set up for your trub loss, first divide your final volume by the difference, multiply by 100 and subtract that from your percentage value. For example, if your final chilled wort was 23 L and you missed your net volume by 2 L, 2 / 23 * 100 = 8.7%. Then subtract 8.7% from your current percentage.
Thanks again Jeff.
Volume adjustment has now been made.
cheers