Reusing yeast from Primary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

almost

Post by Fraoch »

Interesting technique mesa,i had kind of worked out my questions later that night when it was all mulling over in my head.Except for the krausen bit, i thought you had some technique that would allow it to sit on top,INGENIUS!!!! i was thinking.Seems a complicated way of doing things, so i have 2 more questions for you if thats OK?
Why not mash at a higher temp so Fg is at 1017 and just let the yeast do its stuff to terminal, im guessing that the time taken to ferment through dextrins would add too much to your brew schedule and it is therefore easier for you and quicker to manipulate the fermentation process??
Also, do you really mean -1c which is just below point of freezing or 1c, just above??

Thanks for taking the time Mesa,

Gavin
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Replies, duex...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

"Why not mash at a higher temp so Fg is at 1017 and just let the yeast do its stuff to terminal, im guessing that the time taken to ferment through dextrins would add too much to your brew schedule and it is therefore easier for you and quicker to manipulate the fermentation process??"

I could change to a higher mash temp, but there are other effects from doing this other than dextrin production that I do not desire. This technique of cooling to arrest fermentation leads to very consistent results. Due to slight variations in mashing temperatures, slight drifts... undershoots... overshoots... etc would render changing that part of the equation less reliable than what I am now doing. Also... through subsequent high cell concentration re-pitches, the rate of fermentation increases as does the ability of the yeast to ferment down lower. Using the cooling technique, I can always account for this. If I didn't, each subsequent batch would ferment to a lower terminal point resulting in a drier beer than I desired.

"Also, do you really mean -1c which is just below point of freezing or 1c, just above??"

Yep... -1c. This is the optimal point for conditioning rests. It ensure complete arrest, great and quick flocculation, maintains the yeast health by slowing glycolysis, offers a buffer from autolysis and prevents virtually all bacterial growth.

Any better?

Eric
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

yeh, thanks for that

Post by Fraoch »

Cheers for endulging me.it has been most interesting. Looks like i need to get myself off to brew school one day.
Gavin