Affect on multiple temperature changes on kegged beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

BrewCMU

Affect on multiple temperature changes on kegged beer

Post by BrewCMU »

I have been forced by my current living situation to chill my keg outside for serving. But to avoid freezing the beer (Pittsburgh's been rather cold this year) I bring the keg in after I am finished for the day. I have done this 3 or 4 times over the last month and I would appreciate feedback on the potential flavor impact. Thanks for your help.
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Affect on multiple temperature ch

Post by dohertyd »

You're drinking it.....you tell us!

I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that there would be some degradation of flavor...not too much, though, since you're dealing with a sealed container.
BrewCMU

I have noticed a difference

Post by BrewCMU »

There has definately been a difference over time, but I'm not sure whether to attribute the change to the progressive addition of flavor from some dry hops I added to the keg or the change in temperature. It's possible the change in flavor could be contamination related because of the slight sowering taste that has developed.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

As long as sanitization was good...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

As long as your sanitization was effective and the beer is crowned with CO2, yeast will be the only flavor effector other than the usual aging variables if the beer is held below 80 deg. F. Aging, of course, is accelerated at elevated temps.

Eric
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

In my Commercial days

Post by fitz »

In my past poorer life(When I had to drink commercial beer)
I definitely saw a difference if the beer was left to get warm after it had been cold, and then chilled again. The beer had a harsh taste to it. I don't think there would be a problem if it wasn't able to get above 50 degrees though. Does your beer still have good flavor?
I'm sure it still tastes better than commercial.