Extract boiling..or not?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Extract boiling..or not?

Post by HardcoreLegend »

Tell me what you think of this. In a recipe on a tear-away card inside BYO magazine from Cooper's, the directions instruct the brewer to steep the specialty grains , then bring the water back to a boil, add the hops accoeding to hop schedule, and then add the malt extract (LME or DME) at the end after the boil is finished. Sounds weird. sure would speed up brew time by not having to bring a pot full of syrupy wort back to boil. What do you think?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hop Tea

Post by BillyBock »

There was an article about this in the Oct 02 issue of BYO, p. 40, "Boil the Hops, not the Extract". The advantages were better hop utilization and less darkening of the extract. Apparently it's done with good success. Try it and let us know.

v/r
Bill
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No Boil

Post by dartedplus »

I heard of people using liquid extract without boiling and having good results. So why not, talk about an easy brew!!!!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Just assumed

Post by jayhawk »

I have always just assume that boiling is necessary with extract, but now that I think of it, boiling is probably not necessary. Extract is just concentrated wort, so it follows that cooking (ie boiling) is part of the process used to produce it. Therefore, it shouldn't really be necessary to boil the stuff again, unless you are concerned about contamination. No more 15 min boils for me when making yeast starters. I just boil for 5 now to kill any beasties.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

only possible concern...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

The Belgian BrewFerm quality line of extracts have been including no-boil recipes for at least a decade, and I used some of those kits in that manner with good success several years ago. The BYO article Billy mentioned did point out a number of positives associated with not boiling your extract.

My only reservation is that if you want to ultimately end up with a bright beer, skipping the boil is going to make that a challenge. Extract brewers still rely on Irish moss etc. to facilitate a good cold break and ultimately get clear beer - if you don't boil the extract you'll never get that break material out, right?

Cheers,
Jim
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Both ways

Post by fitz »

I have done both types of extract brewing. I have found that if you choose the no boil method, use some amylaze enzyme to help convert the extra protiens to fermentables!
hunter

Post by hunter »

would amalaze enzyme help convert starches to fermentables,as in flaked rice,flaked barley and such. :?:
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

I have tried the late addition method with some great results, however I have found out that you need to boil the DME for 15 min at leat, but not LME. The reason I was told is that the LME has already been boiled but the DME has not.
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM