Hop Utilization

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Williac

Hop Utilization

Post by Williac »

Hey all.

We're in the process of putting together a several barrel brewing system though we will be running 1 barrel brews through it at the start. I think we've got most things tied down so far but I'm still unsure about hop utilization when scaling to larger batch sizes.

As an example we're planning on using a recipe from The Electric Brewer (the Electric Pale Ale) as a starting point. I've made some grain substitutions based on what we actually have access to in this part of the world (a very limited range!) but if the hop amounts are scaled linearly I suspect it could be way too bitter.
Hop_Utilization.png
Hop_Utilization.png (221.75 KiB) Viewed 14053 times
I've experimented with the utilization calculations in Beer Tools but they seem to alter the proportions but not the quantities. What would be the best approach for scaling up hop quantities? Would you reduce the the quantities accordingly (by 10% for example)?

Any other suggestions on how we've entered this into Beer Tools would also be welcome, it's the first time we've tried brewing using software. Thanks in advance!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hop Utilization

Post by jeff »

Hi Williac,

What hop utilization algorithm are you using? You can find it by opening Recipe->Utilization. It might be a good idea to save a couple templates each containing a %U algorithm for different batch sizes. You can have one for pilot batches and another for production. If the template files contain only the %U algorithm you can load them without overwriting recipe data.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Williac

Post by Williac »

Hi Jeff, thanks for the help.

I've tried applying a Rager algorithm to the recipe which changes the proportion values accordingly. What I don't understand is how to deal with the quantities as these don't change once the algorithm has been applied.

Cheers
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

You are right. The ingredient quantities are not changed when switching algorithms. With the style tab visible below, adjust your boiling hop quantities to line up with your desired IBU after changing the algorithm.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Williac

Post by Williac »

Thanks! That should be enough to get us going :)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Williac wrote:Thanks! That should be enough to get us going :)
Excellent! Let us know how it goes!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff