Adding fresh wort?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

arkiteqt

Adding fresh wort?

Post by arkiteqt »

I am currently brewing a honey-pils style lager... I checked the gravity and it's 1.010, so it's finished. Would it hurt if I added, say, 2/3 gallon of wort with 2/3 lb honey even though ferm. has finished? It's O.G. was 1.058...
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Should be ok

Post by maltvault »

As long as the wort is boiled/steralized and cooled. Remember though, you have live yeast in your beer, new sugar will restart fermentation, be sure you have enough room in the fermentor for fermentation.
Good Luck,
Malt Vault
brewdude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Maybe and maybe not...

Post by brewdude »

I remember trying this to a batch I made. The OG was
not very high so I thought I could just add some more fermentables while still in the primary. I boiled about 1 and 1/2
lb. extract with a quart of water. Cooled it and added it to the primary. My OG was up to an
acceptable level then. I racked into a secondary and later bottled it. It was, without a doubt the worst beer I made!
I could bearly drink it. I can't describe the taste other than to say it reminded me of a real nasty chemical taste. At the
time I was not a meticulous about sanitation as I am now so it could've easily been how I handled it. I know I never tried it
again. If you do try it please post to let us know how it turned out.