Primary fermintation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

wingsfan61

Primary fermintation

Post by wingsfan61 »

What is the longest you have left your batch in primary????

Im brewing a very basic cream ale. 3 weeks and it is still bubbling and I am still not down to my goal of 1.010 I am only down to 1.020
slothrob

Re: Primary fermintation

Post by slothrob »

I've left a beer in primary for over a month, without ill effects. However, I don't think I've ever had a beer ferment for 3 weeks. Sometimes a beer will bubble if you have a rise in temperature, which drives CO2 out of solution, which can make it look like it is still fermenting. If your beer is still fermenting, perhaps you might have under-pitched your yeast or maybe you are fermenting at too cool a temperature for the yeast strain. What temperature is it at now and which yeast did you use?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wingsfan61

Post by wingsfan61 »

Safal-05. It has been near my heat vent up stairs for the past 2 weeks. I have made this beer a number of times before and have always had good fermentation down to 1.010 by the 21 day mark....
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Could you have mashed higher than usual? Maybe your thermometer has gone out of calibration.

I suppose it could have been a pack of yeast that wasn't handled that well before you got it.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP