Multi-Step Mash Tutorial?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bac0n

Multi-Step Mash Tutorial?

Post by bac0n »

Hi all -

I've been using BeerTools Pro for several years, but all of my previous mashes have been a single infusion, and now I'm getting into protein rests, beta amylase rests, and all that fun stuff. Only problem is, I must be doing something wrong with adding the Infusions to the schedule, because I always wind up with WAY too much water going in. So, I was wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere I could refer to so that I can learn how to get my numbers right? Been looking all over the place with no luck.
slothrob

Re: Multi-Step Mash Tutorial?

Post by slothrob »

Sorry, I don't know of a tutorial, but perhaps I can help.

I do mostly multi-step infusions, usually 2 steps. I've had good success with BTP calculating the temperatures and locking the Total Runoff volume in the Sparge editor prevents me from adding more water than I need to hit my kettle volume.

I usually shoot for a 1.75-2.0 qt/pound mash thickness. For a multi-step mash, I want that thickness at the end of the mash to be in that range, but since I will be adding water for the steps, I start much thicker. I'll usually start with a mash in thickness of 1.25 qt/pound, then try setting up the schedule. If I can't hit my step temperatures, I change my initial infusion to 0.75-1 qt/pound, which usually makes my schedules work.

Remember, you are shooting for approximately equal runoff volumes from your mash and sparge, to maximize mash efficiency, but getting a gallon or so more from one runoff than the other will not decrease your efficiency by more than a few percent.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you might have,
Eric
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bac0n

Post by bac0n »

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Actually, a few days after I made this post, I decided to give creating a multi-step mash schedule another go. After more messing around and tweaking, I found that the default thickness of the infusions was 2.5 qts/lb. Adjusting it down to 1.5 got my water amounts to where I wanted them.

I brewed the recipe last Friday, and the numbers and temps were spot on, and now the beer is happily bubbling away in the basement.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Glad to hear you have it working the way you want.

I did a multi-step mash for a Munich Dunkel on Saturday and it is also bubbling away happily. Making me happy, too!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP