clonea beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

petee16

clonea beer

Post by petee16 »

hey guys i would like to thank you all for letting me join your site.
I have a question where would i find clone recipes for Rheingold beer and piels or the old new yorkers favorite Knickerbocker Beer.
Thanks, Pete
slothrob

clones

Post by slothrob »

These are technically very difficult beers to make or to clone. They are essentially just base malt, perhaps US 2-row or Pilsner Malt, with maybe a very small amount of Carapils or some other very light crystal malt to add a little sweetness.

I haven't had Knickerbocker since I was a kid, so I can't really remember what it tastes like, but a lot of these beers use some corn or rice (like Bud and Miller) to dilute out the malt flavor.

These beers are usually hopped to around 10-20 IBUs with just a bittering addition to balance the malt sweetness, usually with a mild Noble hop. A hop like Magnum or Sterling, perhaps, but Cluster was a really commonly used hop in the US for a long time. You will use very little hop, so the particular hop may not matter much, but this is one source of the subtle differences between these beers. There might be a very, very small aroma addition at the end of the boil.

The yeast chosen and the temperature of fermentation will be important. A German Lager yeast fermented just below 50°F, would bring you into the right neighborhood, but you may have to try a few to find the flavor you are looking for. White Labs German Lager yeast (WLP830) might be a good place to start, but WLP940 Mexican Lager might be a good one to try, as well.

These beers require very tight process and temperature control, and finding the subtle combination of flavors that makes you like a particular one could be a long search, but the American Lager, Bavarian Helles, Pre-Prohibition Lager and the World-Wide Lager kits sold by Northern Brewer (here or here, for extract) would make very similar beers.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
petee16

Post by petee16 »

Ok thank you so much