CO2 build up in primary fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

DTS78KC
Light Lager
Light Lager

CO2 build up in primary fermentation

Post by DTS78KC »

Here is the deal, I brewed a Maibock (OG 1.062 raked 1.020)pitched with 2 pkg wyeast 2487 Hella bock at 78oF and stuck it in my refridge, dropping it to around 42-46oF It took about 1 week to get any action, 2-3 week had it rolling and it slowed at around the 4- 4 1/2 week mark. Total time on first yeast cake 44 days. When I raked the beer it has CO2 build up and seems like it might be too much to bottle. Anyone else encounter this situation? Could I still bottle, will the caps pop off? I plan on bottling within 5 days just to give the geletin time to help clearifiy, doesn't really need much more so I could go sooner.

Thanks for the help.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime- Nuco Gordo
slothrob

CO2 in Fermented Beer

Post by slothrob »

The amount of CO2 in the beer prior to bottling depends on the temperature of that beer during fermentation. The amount of sugar added for carbonation should be adjusted for that. So, to get 2.5 volumes of CO2, you would add 4.3 oz. of sugar if the beer was at 65°F and 3.6 ounces if the beer was at 50°F.

If the beer has been warmed up after fermentation, the amount of CO2 in solution will gradually drop.

BeerToolsPro includes a calculator for determining the amount of sugar to add based on beer temperature.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP