cold brewing

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

spgriffin
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

cold brewing

Post by spgriffin »

is there such a thing? Instead of heating water to 150-whatever can I put grains (specialty for extract or entire grain bill if AG) in cold water to extract overnight?
Keg 1: Rye stout
Keg 2: Irish honey red
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I don't think so as enzymes are active at the warmer temps good average for beta and alpha amylase being around the 150°F temp.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

cold brewing

Post by slothrob »

The enzymes would still be active, but much slower, but the starch gelatinization temperature is up around 150F, so the remaining activity of these enzymes would be even less effective. I don't know how much less, however.

That might be fine if you let it go longer, but there are other activities that would continue at a lower temperature. One problem might be some issues with proteinases and glucanase working to make the beer seem thin. The primary concern I can think of, however, is that bacteria would grow at low temperatures and with longer mashes. Perhaps you might manage to convert enough sugar to make a Berliner Weisse if you tried mashing cool (120F or less?) for a few days or more, but I wouldn't try it on anything that you didn't want to be sour.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Specialty Grains

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I think that the majority of specialty grains don't require conversion. That would require a mini mash. I do agree with bacteria and spoilable.
slothrob

cold extrraction

Post by slothrob »

I was only taking about mashing, not steeping. A lot of people steep roasted malts cold to minimize the roasted flavor extraction.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP