Sparging

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

LodgePole Brewer

adding grain

Post by LodgePole Brewer »

just for point of reference, how much extra grain do you add during a batch sparge to bring up your efficiency? double your base malt?
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: adding grain

Post by DreamWeaver »

LodgePole Brewer wrote:just for point of reference, how much extra grain do you add during a batch sparge to bring up your efficiency? double your base malt?
I usually add 1lb of base malt for batch sparging for each 5 gallons of brew at 1.25qts of strike water. And I always seem to come out higher SG than expected. Don't double the base malt unless you want a barleywine. I usually don't even mash out & I mash at 152*F for 45 minutes, Vorlauf, empty... sparge with 175*F, stir, wait 10 minutes, Vorlauf, and empty to kettle. When I open my ball valve I let 'er rip... wide open. Why else batch sparge if you are going to do it slow? I get 75%eff average and don't even bother with a iodine test or ph worries using 2 row base malt. YMMV

Good Luck!
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sparge rate

Post by jayhawk »

One bit of warning on fast sparging. I can't run off too quick because I end up simply sucking water down the sides of my bucket, rather than pulling the water through the grain bed. This means that I lose effeciency and run the risk of extracting tannin from the outer edge of the grain bed. If one is using a "flatter" tun like a large rectangular cooler then it would not be such an issue because the grain is not held in a tall column like in a bucket tun. Just remember that the sparge water will follow the path of least resistance, and that generally means along the nice smooth sides of the tun, rather than through the grain bed.
mountainbrewer

What About the Temp in the Grain Bed?

Post by mountainbrewer »

Have any of you checked the temperature in the grain bed during sparging? I usually run my sparge water a little on the hot side (170-175 deg. F) and use a Phil's sparger with a Zapap lauter tun. When I insert a long stemed thermometer down in to the grain bed I read about 145-150 deg. F usually.
My efficiencies are good, no tannins either but I've always been curious when I've heard to run your sparge water at 168 deg. just where it is measured. I know that when the water sprinkles through the air down to the grain bed you're going to give up some temperature so I keep the sparger as close to the grain bed as possible.
Where is it important to measure temperature?
Wayne
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Sparge rate

Post by DreamWeaver »

jayhawk wrote:One bit of warning on fast sparging. I can't run off too quick because I end up simply sucking water down the sides of my bucket, rather than pulling the water through the grain bed. This means that I lose effeciency and run the risk of extracting tannin from the outer edge of the grain bed. If one is using a "flatter" tun like a large rectangular cooler then it would not be such an issue because the grain is not held in a tall column like in a bucket tun. Just remember that the sparge water will follow the path of least resistance, and that generally means along the nice smooth sides of the tun, rather than through the grain bed.
I should have mentioned that I was referring to Batch Sparging. When you batch sparge there is no worry of the sparge water drilling through the grain bed, and you can open the valve and let it run as fast as possible after a fill, stir, 10 minute wait, Vorlauf and let 'er rip!.
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...