Frozen Yeast Bank

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Thaw

Post by Legman »

slothrob wrote: Sorry if I come across a little professorial with this stuff, it's bad habit from teaching a lot of people these skills in the lab, over the years.
Slo, I'm just razzing you a bit. :P Your comments have helped out in many posts. Any info is great to have! No need to be sorry at all.
And as soon as my redneck side lets go, I'm sure I'll be doing this more technical to get better results.

When do you think the yeast nutrient should go in, before or after the freeze?
Please explain the olive oil to me.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

slothrob,

all of your advice given on this topic or on any other topic is always welcomed!

I'm going to give your advice a try to see what happens.
Legman wrote:

I wonder if adding some yeast nutrient before or after freezing would help with with the cell survival rate???
I always make my starters using yeast nutrient, and i take my yeast samples from the flask while the starter's fermentation is at it's highest peak of fermentation by top cropping it. I'm sure that some of the nutrients are coming along into the vial with the yeast.
Legman wrote:

Wottaguy, you really want to babysit that starter don't you? 10-14 days? I don't have the patients.
Legman...YES! Yeastizes are my friends...LOL :D

Well...I figure that i'll be stepping up the starter to grow it up big enough to pitch.(I like BIG starters). During this process, I'll also have to cool off the fermented wort from the starters so that the yeast drops out...decant...warm it to room temp...make another starter medium..I usually cool the starter off in the fridge for 24 hours, then make more starter wort the next morning. When I cool the starter wort off, I then take the cooled off flask and the settled yeast out of the fridge and let it warm up. when all is ready, i decant the beer from the flask, then introduce the newly cooled off starter wort into the flask. I also aerate the new wort before transferring it to the flask. I actually have a new starter in progress cooling off as we speak! (brewing tomorrow).

Hope all this makes sense....LOL!

Thanks Guys...I appreciate your comments and ideas!

Now get out there and make some beer...!!! :D

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Legman wrote:When do you think the yeast nutrient should go in, before or after the freeze?
Please explain the olive oil to me.
wottaguy wrote: I always make my starters using yeast nutrient, and i take my yeast samples from the flask while the starter's fermentation is at it's highest peak of fermentation by top cropping it. I'm sure that some of the nutrients are coming along into the vial with the yeast.

Now get out there and make some beer...!!!
Well, I'll be drinking the last of my Porter and an Extra Pale Ale tonight, but I have an not-very-Irish Red to transfer and an Alt recipe to design tomorrow.

Yeah, I think the nutrient would probably be good in the pre-freeze and post-freeze starters.

The olive oil (1 drop) supplies some of the precursors for the sterols that are made from oxygen in the wort. Adding the oil reduces the importance of the oxygen and reduces the chance that the yeast will go into aerobic stress. It should also make the cell walls more robust before the freeze, helping them to survive the insult, and making them better prepared to face the struggle of recovering. Since they'll have those sterols in their cell membranes, they'll be able to grow without becoming thin and weak. That's the theory, anyway.

Great discussion, guys! Good luck with the ranching.
Last edited by slothrob on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Yeast nutrient & olive oil

Post by Legman »

Thanks Slothrob. I'll have to keep those tips in mind the next time I get around to freezing/thawing my next rounds of yeast. Interesting thought on the olive oil. Who would have thought.

And yes Wottaguy, I am ready to get brewing again! I gotta wait a couple of weeks before I can. Both my fermeters are full. I think its about time to buy another one.:mrgreen:

Just finished the last of my Mock-Vienna Lager last night, and tonight I'm polishing off the experimental raisin beer. Next up for the tap is a Pale Ale and an English Nut Brown. Can't wait to give those a sample!
Excellent posts! Have a good weekend my friends!
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yeast heads unite in a pint!

Post by shaggyt »

WOW!!! :shock:

After reading page 3 onto the end of page 4, amazing info and exchange of ideas...thanks gentlemen.

Slothrob...keep on teaching! I like knowing the reasons for doing/not doing certain techniques. I would never have imagined that olive oil would benefit my beer!!!

One questiont though, virgin or extra virgin? LOL!

I look forward to hearing everyone's results with all this brewing happening!

cheers.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yeast heads unite in a pint!

Post by bfabre »

shaggyt,
WOW! is right, and I do like to know the reason things work the way they work. It will give you more understanding on making better choices in the brewing process.

Legman, you talked me into it. I'm exited.
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast Heads

Post by Legman »

Bfabre, that's great! Give it a whirl and see how it goes.
Like I said before, we're still in the beginning stages of all this, but it does look promising.

Share your results and thought with us. Good luck!
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

1st vial pitched today

Post by shaggyt »

Well gents, my first fozen vial has been pitched...tried my hand at an American Brown.

Here's how it went down:

1. Thawed vial in luke warm h20 very quickly as directed (thanks slothrob)

2. 1st step starter very small, roughly .25 cup DME + pint of h20 + 1 drop olive oil...let ferment out, poured off most of beer.

3. 2nd step, doubled DME & h20, olive oil drop...let ferment & pour off.

4. 3rd step, double DME & h20 again, forgot olive oil...had to postpone brew day so this one went into the fridge for about a week. This starter was made in a 1 gal jug and yielded about half the pancake I usually pitch (normally about an inch at the bottom of the jug).

I took the cautious road here. Next vial, not so many steps. My first vials had very little sediment in them, maybe 1ml worth, so I thought I needed to take it easy. I'll say one thing though, I think I need the specs on a stir plate, lol!

Success looks good...hopefully it tastes good too!
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re:1st vial pitched today

Post by Legman »

Hey congrats, Shaggyt! :D
I'm glad that worked out for you. I'm still reusing yeast from the fermenters and have tried another frozen vial yet. But it won't be long.
It really wasn't that hard after all, was it?
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

While you guys are still on the subject of freezing yeast, I have a quick question.

I just got done bottling my Belgian Wit, and I thought it might be a good idea to save the yeast since I'll more than likely need to brew a second batch of it.

I wasn't really prepared to save it when the time came, so I just used a turkey baster to pull some yeast off the bottom of my fermenter. I sealed it in a ball jar and stuck it in the freezer. This was done on friday. This coming friday, I will more than likely brew the second batch for my keg. Is this yeast that I've saved going to be good? Also, how long will it keep if I store yeast like this? Is there some sort of additive you can put into the yeast before freezing it to help it keep longer? I think that may have been covered in this thread so I'll go back and check it out just in case.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Easy Freezing

Post by shaggyt »

Legman, it was not difficult at all. Yeast harvesting is like making the move from extract to all grain brewing, takes a bit more time and effort, but it's definitely worth it!

Also, once you successfully go through the process for the first time, you don't necessarily have to do it again for some time (if you've harvested enough vials that is).

Suthrncomfrt1884...definitely check out slothrob's posts within this thread...amazing amount of good info. It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't.

Also, given your circumstances with the yeast in the jar, I'd make a small starter to check for viability ASAP. That way you can step it up in the days leading up to your next brew session, or buy more if necessary.

Good luck.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re:Easy Freezing

Post by Legman »

It does take a little bit of time and effort, but it's really not bad at all. And what else are you going to do between brewing days anyways? :D

Yeah, I'm not going to harvest from a jar of trub I've had setting around any more. I just did it that one time because I got impatient. The best way is to start from a fresh vial of yeast and make a starter. You can harvest from the trub if it's fresh from the fermenter with good results.

Thanks to all who had input on this! Great discussion. Keep posting your results!
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Second Vial, Success!!!

Post by Legman »

Pulled the second vial out of the frozen yeast bank last night to give it a try. I've been waiting to do this to see if it was going to work again.

So last night I made a regular 1/2 gallon starter,(I still can't make myself step it up slowly), used a little yeast nutrient, thawed the vial quickly in warm water (per Slothrob), shook the bageezus out of the jug and put it away for the night.
This morning when I woke up I went to check on it (I was like a kid on Christmas Day). And LO AND BEHOLD there was signs of life!!! :o
In less than 8 hours the yeast was starting to do it's work. That's a lot faster than the last time I tried this.
I couldn't be happier with the results! Wooooohoooooo!!!! (Doing the happy yeast dance) :mrgreen:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

yeast

Post by bfabre »

Just received my starter kit in the mail within the last couple of days. Hadn't had time to get started on it (busy). I can't wait...I went to the beer store and got the four most popular yeasts I use. I can't wait to get started, I'm kinda gitty with excitement. Thanks for getting me started "Legman".
this is off the topic but, how can I post a picture of something?
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Getting started

Post by Legman »

Good deal, Bfabre. I think you'll enjoy this once you get it going. Let us know how things go. You'll find that this is a fairly easy process. Not to mention, you'll always have your favorite yeast(s) on hand. :D

As far as posting pics, click on the [Img*] tab in the "Post a reply" window. Then insert the web address where the pics are posted, and then [Img*] tab again. Insert image: [img]http://image_url[/img]. For what ever reason, this only works about half the time for me. :roll: [/img]