from kettle to primary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

beerguzzler

from kettle to primary

Post by beerguzzler »

Can someone help me understand the proper way to get my wort from the kettle to the primary? I just poured my chilled wort into the primary...should I have racked it? Will the way I did it cause flavor or fermentation problems?

Also, sorry for this basic one...but what does "sparge" actually mean?

I brewed an Irish red and am using a pail w/airlock for the primary. It is fermenting nicely I think.
slothrob

pour wort

Post by slothrob »

You can either rack or pour. Pouring chilled wort is one way of getting oxygen dissolved in the wort, which the yeast need to grow in your beer. You should still shake or aerate in some other additional way, but that's a start. Many people prefer to rack their beer to the primary so they can leave as much of the hops and break material behind as possible.

Sparge means to run water over the grain. It's most meaningful to all-grain brewers, where the draining of the tun and addition and removal of fresh water is a critical aspecct of getting the most sugar from the grain. It is also applied to steeping grains for extract brewers, where many people either dunk or rinse the steeped grain with some fresh water after the steep.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP