question on new recipes

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

kensig

question on new recipes

Post by kensig »

I was workin out a new recipe (im just startin) when doin it there is a sugar to aau ratio to get a balanced beer anyone got approx numbers where beer is not syrup and not terrible bitter. the recipe i was making the ratio was .51aau:1 sugar should the balance be closer? thanks :?:
slothrob

BU:GU

Post by slothrob »

The Bitttereing Units (IBU) to Gravity Units (OG) ratio (called BU:GU), is going to vary by beer style. An IPA will be around 1:1 or even higher. An APA will be closer to 0.75:1. While a Wheat Beer might be more like 0.4. The bitterness to residual sugar will be part of what defines a style.

There's an assumption in this that the OG will reflect the residual sugar in the finished beer (FG), and this is true to a certain degree, but recipe design, mash conditions and yeast choice will all affect the FG, as well. For this reason, sometimes people talk about the Balance Value, which takes the FG into account as well.

You can go below a BU:GU of 0.4, say for a beer that starts at 1.047 and has 20 IBU, but it gets a little hairy below that, I think. Even then, I'd want to make sure the beer finishes pretty dry, so you'd have to mash low and use very little Crystal Malt.

I guess what I'm saying, in a long winded way, is that I'd need to know more about your recipe to give you a good answer. Also, it will depend on your flavor preferences. I tend to like beers at the upper end of the bitterness for most styles, however.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP