Temp & consequences - fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Temp & consequences - fermentation

Post by jayhawk »

I want to use German Ale Yeast #1007, which Wyeast recommends at 55-66F. The problem is that the lowest stable temp I can achieve is 70F. What are the consequences of using a yeast above its recommended temp range? Are there any ways to keep the primary and secondary cool in the absence of a beer fridge or A/C unit. I read somewhere about putting a wet shirt around the fermenter, but is this really practical or necessary?

Thanks
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Ooh, my advice is don't do it

Post by stumpwater »

I had a fermentation go out of temperature range and the result was a very unpleasant tangy beer. Now, mind you I was 5 degrees Centigrade out of the recommended temperature range, so that could have impacted greater on the resulting beer then what you are talking about, but still...ooh.
Having said this though, I think that I learned more from the experience and became a better brewer (smile). Too, I did drink the entire batch (some dumb thing from this site someone said "we drink our mistakes").
Na Zdahroveh!
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

1007 @ Elevated Temperatures & "Swamp Cooler" Technique....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Wyeast 1007 German Ale ferments fine at 70 degrees. I made a commecially bottled Amber with it, and it fermented at 70 degrees F. The key to doing so, however, is that you must chill the wort to around 63 degrees prior to pitching and allow the temperature to rise naturally to 70 and not let it go above that temperature. This is how you avoid the yeast producing excessive estery-fruit flavors that would be uncharacteristic of this yeast's metabolism. If you neglect this step and pitch at 70 deg. F., the most vigorous stage of fermentation will be at around 76~81 deg. F. and will produce significant esters.

If you do ferment it this way, you also need to do a diacetyl rest because the elevated temperature causes this yeast to produce a good amount of it that will need re-absorbed. For techniques, see the continuing thread regarding diacetyl on this site.

This yeast can also produce a detectible amount of sulfur which, if you keg, can be scrubbed out with CO2. If desired, I can describe the scrubbing technique, which can be used to eliminate a number of volatiles from finished beer.

The "shirt on the carboy" trick definitely works, but the temperature drop can be unpredictable. You place a wet t-shirt around the carboy/fermenter and face it with a fan blowing at low speed. The evaporation of the water from the shirt will lower the temperature of the carboy by up to 3 deg. if you pay close attention to it, keeping it moist at all times. An aside... this technique was used by people traveling across deserts by placing wet blankets on the roofs of their cars which served to cool the inside somewhat.

One of the best techniques I've seen to keep fermenting brews cooler without refrigeration was using 2&3 litre soda bottles. You fill the bottles with water and freeze them. Then you place the carboy or fermenter into a keg party tub, fill it with water and throw in a couple of the frozen bottles. The guy I saw doing this threw in a couple of bottles per day and kept his temperature at around 65 deg. F.

Eric
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

CO2 scrubbing

Post by Fraoch »

Mesa, I'd be very interested in learning this "scrubbing" technique as i have a very sulphury porter on my hands at the moment. It has abated quite considerably over the last week ( we're having a hot spell) but is still detectable. Thanks in advance,

Gav
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

OOPS,

Post by Fraoch »

Guess who reads from the bottom up??? ignore that last post, just read the reply at the top of the page