1st Lager

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

1st Lager

Post by Kilerclown »

I just brewed my first lager yesterday and used California Lager Wyeast. The question is whether I was supposed to put the primary in the fridge at the get go or should I wait and let it ferment at a warmer temp for a week. The temp in the fridge is mid to high 50's. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lager Temps....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

The Cali yeast is a hybrid yeast that can be fermented anywhere from 58 to 68 degrees. To retain a lager like character, ferment at or below 65 degrees.

As with any fermentation, yeast activity within the first 48 hours can raise the wort temperature by up to 12 degrees and this is why your pitching temperature should always be at least 5 degrees below the intended fermentation temperature.

I would recommend putting the primary in the refrigerator now to keep the yeast from producing too much esters and diacetyl which would not be appropriate in a lager.

When primary fermentation is complete, let the beer temperature raise to 60 degrees F. and hold it there for 2 days. This is referred to as a diacetyl rest and is where the yeast re-absorb much of the diacetyl that they produced. After this period, move the beer to the secondary and condition the beer for at least 1 month at 45 degrees. After that period, condition for 3 weeks to 2 months at as close to 30 degrees as possible. Following this technique will produce a crystal clear, crisp 19th century lager.

Eric