How Long

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

How Long

Post by yooper »

I have had a batch made for over a month now. May even be closer to two months. My question is this. How long can you leave a batch in a secondary fermenter before it becomes to long? I just haven't had time to get to it and I'm starting to get nervous. I should have time this weekend finally.

Da yooper
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Uh Oh!!

Post by andytv »

I don't know the answer, but I think I'll find out soon... You have jogged my memory of a 5 gallon carboy of porter thats been sitting hidden in my coldroom for over a year now. A fellow we know came to brew with us one day (his first time) After that, he lost interest and never felt like coming back over to bottle. I'll dig it out and give it a sniff this weekend, who knows, maybe it'll be great.

Andy
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

relax!

Post by bredmakr »

I've stored many batches in the secondary for as long as six months. After the first three weeks if I don't have the time I rack it off again into a third carboy just to be sure there are no flavor influences from the trub and dead yeast. If I know I'm not going to have time to deal with it after that I just make sure that it is kept out of direct sunlight and in the coolest part of the house.I don't know the exact max time but I'm sure it depends on the type of beer and the conditions in which it is being stored. Think of it this way, beer does get better with age. Your just aging it in the carboy and not the bottle. I'd venture to guess that you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.