how long in 2nd Carboy

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

firstbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

how long in 2nd Carboy

Post by firstbrew »

How long can I leave my brew in the secondary ? I am gonna prime with the "gyle" method and am curious if there is a time limit on it. i.e. will my yeast die and not carbonate if I wait too long ? I am outta bottles and I am broke, so i need more time to purchuse some more... thanks FB
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Don't Worry

Post by BillyBock »

I've been in situations, due to my work schedule, where I've left brews in the secondary for a month--never had a problem with off-flavors. However, you should give them an extra week or two to carbonate the bottles since there's a reduced cell count and they're just plain tired. Over time the yeast will die--how long it takes I'm not exactly sure. But, one trick is to pitch a fresh dose of yeast just before bottling to ensure you have healthy yeastie beasties. Your brew is pretty safe from outside contamination now; it lies under a blanket of CO2, there's alocohol present, hops are antiseptic, and it has a low pH--bacteria doesn't like this environment. So don't worry, save your money and it'll be fine until you can bottle it :-)
--Cheers!
Cherrvallian

Cherryvallian

Post by Cherrvallian »

I leave all my brews in 2nd Carboy 2 weeks
then I prime with 1 oz corn sugar per gallon for
three weeks to 1 month The beer is clear & carbonated to perfection Good Luck