Jello Beer?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Tyler Durden

Jello Beer?

Post by Tyler Durden »

Im sure some of you have heard of jello shots, im just curious has anyone ever heard of Beer Jello? Could it be possible to create a Apple Pie Beer Porter that you could actual taste the beer and apples and the flavor of the beer through the jello shot. I was thinking of creating something like this to put in a beer bottle that wasnt as jello as jello but you could suck it down through a bottle. Cinnamon raisin beer porter, you can see the raisins and apples kind of gelled and taste the beer to. Dumb idea? Just some thoughts going through my brain right now. If its stupid just let me know or if you have ideas on how to achieve this let me know.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hmmm....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Well, there have been more odd ideas that actually made it into production... dehydrated beer is one that comes to mind!

Here are my thoughts which are subjective:

Impressions of beer flavor are dependant on a number of factors among which are alcohol and carbonation. The alcohol would carry over into the gel, but the beer would have to be de-gassed to mix it in to the gelatin. Do you enjoy the taste of flat beer? It can sometimes make a beer taste more cloying without the carbonation. Also, jello consumers associate sweetness with the product. The roasty notes in Porters may not be appreciated in this format. If you wanted to try this, I'd suggest a Barley Wine with very little hops. The estery, fruity nature of that style would at least have a chance with the fruit you intend to add. Personally, the turnoff for me would be beer flavor with a gel texture... I just can't picture that as enjoyable.

Jello shots were invented to appeal to the "alcopop" crowd that wants either a flavorless alcohol delivery mechanism (light beer for one) or those of the soda generation who want everything to be sweet (Mike's Hard Lemonade, Zima, all the "malternatives"). If tried among this crowd, they'd probably hate the idea!

Let me know if you try this and what the reaction is. Maybe I'm too limited in my perspective to picture it's viability!
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Jello Beer?

Post by Push Eject »

Tyler Durden wrote:Im sure some of you have heard of jello shots, im just curious has anyone ever heard of Beer Jello?
I made Guiness jello shots for a party a few years ago...

The unanimous consensus was that they were horrifically awful and the stigma haunts me to this day.

Charlie