First All Grain Yesterday.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

cubangoose
Light Lager
Light Lager

First All Grain Yesterday.

Post by cubangoose »

Well, I brewed my first all-grain batch yesterday and it went well. I missed my target gravity by ten points, but I am alright with that.
I didn't expect to see as much protien in the Wort after the hot break. Is it alright to leave the trub in the bottom of the primary or should I siphon it to another carboy?
Thanks Paul and Billy for your help. Sorry Paul, I didn't use your ESB recipe. My girlfriend wanted a pale ale.( gotta keep the girl happy and brewin') I waited until I was good and ready and it paid off, everything went as planned.
P.S Paul,I will do your ESB next
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Congrats! And you're welcome. Your extract efficiency could be from many sources...but usually I suspect the crush first. If you tell Paul & I your AG process and your water chemistry we can give you some pointers. I remember my first AG batch...and IPA. I had dismal efficiency. My OG was 45 (instead of 65) and boy was it bitter! It's FG was 4 :D Dry and bitter, baby!

Keep on brewin!
cubangoose
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mashing efficiency

Post by cubangoose »

I missed my target by .07. My target was 1.051 I ended up with 1.044. I had a hard time achieving a 154 degree mash. I think it might have to do with the altitude I live at (4500 feet), and that I did not adjust my mash water accordingly. I ended up mashing at 151-148ish. I used filtered muni water. I will have to find out the specifics. My recipe was

9 lbs American 2-row
.75 lbs Munich
.75 lbs Caravienne
1 oz, Nugget
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Amarrilo