waiting too long to rack

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

waiting too long to rack

Post by caosesvida »

Is it a problem to let the primary stand too long, ie over 1 week, and in the secondary more than a month? for ales, and for heavier beers? thanks.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I think you may be OK

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Caosesvida

I think you may be OK, The secondary has less damaging effects on the final results, it is when you leave the ale on the Lees (yeast / Trub bed) that you might have a problem with. I have left strong ales on the lees for as much as two to three weeks (due to events beyond my control) and you know what, the beer was fine. The secondary however will have the effect of bulk aging which can actually aid in a smoother fuller complex batch. Providing you don't let oxygen in contact with you beer for any extended period of time, make sure your air lock has ample fluid in it, preferably Cheap vodka, that is what I use when long range bulk aging, I bulk age lagers for 3 months and ales for 1-3 months depending on the batch. Good luck I think you'll be fine. Keep us posted, OK?

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
caosesvida
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caosesvida »

Thanks for responding, I have been away from the computer awhile. I have myself set up to keep about 6 carboys in the secondary stage before kegging. I thought I was getting some bad beer, this happens from time to time. But I found out ( and keep forgetting) that leave it alone for a while and the beer starts tasting much better to really good after a month of kegging. I Think that I just got into making my grain bill to big, 25 pounds for 10 gallons, and started to get stronger and stronger beer. Then it just wasn't tasting right. But since I wrote the first post, I tapped the keg again and it tastes just fine, it is still strong but has a nice mellow flavor. I have gone back to a 20 pound or less now and the new batches should be tapped in acouple of weeks.