Help - It has been 6 years

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

warix

Help - It has been 6 years

Post by warix »

OK - I used to do a bit of Home Brewing but it has been 6 years since I have last stirred that hot pot of wort.

I am going to brew my first batch this tuesday and I am a little confused. In my recipe I am to use Gypsum. The print out is not very clear and intended for the experienced brewer using this form of recipe software. (ProMash)

To quote from the recipe - Gypsum - 60 Min (mash)
and then add Irish Moss - 20 Min (boil)

and for the hops - Mt. Hood - 60 Min (boil)

Refresh my memory on the whole boil process. Once I add all of my Liquid extract, DME and grain bag. I then bring it to a boil. Do I then boil with gypsum for 60 min then 40 Min later add the Irish Moss. and then 20 min later add the Mt Hood hops for another 60 Min and then finish out with the hops schedule. Or do I add the Gypsum and the Mt. Hood at the same time. for the same 60 min boil.

I can't remember. :?: :?:

Thanks for any help.

Bill
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Brewing again

Post by Phobos »

Glad to hear your homebrewing again. Gypsum - 60 Min (mash) refers to the grain bag. Add Gypsum then mash your grains. When that is done remove your grains and heat to boil and add your malt extract, DME and hops and boil 60 minutes. The last 20 minutes of the hour boil add your irish moss. Good luck, and enjoy. Fred :mrgreen: ::
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

And remember!

Post by Gmku »

Never boil your specialty grains! Just let them steep at about 150-160F (I usually do this for 30 minutes), then remove them before bringing the water to a boil for the extract additions. Boiling them will produce tanins, thereby off flavors.
warix

Thanks

Post by warix »

Well everything went well. With the exception of my false bottom hops strainer in my kettle. Somehow a ton of hops got past the strainer and my spout/spigot got plugged up. It was a pain after that, but we got it in the fermenter and pitched and now she is burping away.

I think I will just stick with boiling my hops is small grain bags.

Bill