Space in the carboy

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

BrewBush

Space in the carboy

Post by BrewBush »

Howdy all,

New poster to these forums and new brewer. I have made 2 batches thus far. First is still attempting to carbonate in the basement (Monday is sample day!! - 2 weeks after bottling), and second a Hefeweisen I just put into a secondary fermenter.

My question, I noticed that from primary to secondary carboy, I naturally lose just a small amount of volume to the hydrometer testing and trub in bucket. I use a 6.5 gal glass carboy and just noticed that there really is some airspace in the top of the carboy. Now this isnt a huge huge amount, but probably one that 1.7 gallons can fill.

I know there can be problems with the airspace, is this too much? Or should this be just fine the way it is and just "relax"?

Thanks for reading
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Some Headspace is OK

Post by DreamWeaver »

I think you will be OK. I too use large carboys and some headspace is going to be there. The beer will put off enough co2 to cover or blanket the beer and co2 is heavier than oxygen so it will protect it.

As for how little is too little, I would say as long as the carboy is more than half full it will be OK.
I usually do anywhere from 5 to 12 gallon batches and try to rotate my carboys so as to have them strategically planned to hold enough to minimize my headspace so as to not worry about it. (if I've done the math right)

BTW... Welcome to the forum!

Hope your taste test turns out OK. :D

Cheers!
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...